Unimoni is an international organisation providing diverse financial services. Working with some of the largest banks and non-banking financial companies, Unimoni has established one of the largest remittance networks in the industry.
Unimoni Exchange LLC ("UNIMONI") is the data controller (the person who determines, individually or jointly, the purposes for which and the way the personal data is to be processed) of Personal Data collected in Qatar, its branches and digital channels. We are located at Regency Business Centre - 3, Grand Hamad Street, P.O Box 31645, Doha, State of Qatar.
Purpose of this Privacy Statement
UNIMONI respects your privacy and is committed to maintaining the confidentiality and security of the Personal Data of its existing, prospective and former customers and beneficiaries ("Data Subjects" or "you"). This Privacy Statement informs you about how we process Personal Data, how we look after it and tells you about your rights with respect to your Personal Data. UNIMONI encourages you to review this Privacy Statement and become familiar with it.
Personal Data processed by UNIMONI
3.1 What does Personal Data mean?
Personal Data is data which identifies an individual or which can be used in combination with other data to identify an individual, such as name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
UNIMONI collects Personal Data from Data Subjects mainly through its branches, websites, and third parties or publicly available sources. For more information on these sources of Personal Data, please refer to the sections below.
Where UNIMONI needs to collect Personal Data by law or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that Personal Data, UNIMONI may not be able to fulfil our contractual obligations (e.g. a money remittance) and we may have to cancel the services you requested.
3.2 Personal Data collected by UNIMONI
To provide the services requested by UNIMONI customers, UNIMONI collects the following Personal Data through its network of branches and Online Money Transfer platforms (OMT):
- Full Name (sender and recipient of the transaction)
- Address (sender and recipient of the transaction)
- Nationality (sender and recipient of the transaction)
- Telephone, including mobile (sender and recipient of the transaction)
- Relationship between sender and recipient of the transaction
- Birth Place
- Employer details
- Origin of the financial resources
- Financial background
- Identification document (e.g. National ID, QID, Passport with valid visa etc. as permitted by Qatar regulation)
- Bank Statements
- Transaction amounts
- Bank account details
- Credit / Debit card numbers
- Marketing & other Contact Preferences
As a financial institution, UNIMONI has certain obligations with regards to identity verification, fraud prevention and other similar security purposes. To ensure compliance with those obligations, certain of the Personal Data described above may be collected from, or verified against, third party sources such as government agencies and consumer reporting agencies. For identity verification purposes, senders and recipients of money transfers may be required to produce valid identification or consent to verification by other means before releasing funds.
3.3 Personal Data collected by UNIMONI websites
At its websites, UNIMONI collects aggregated user data (i.e. information that cannot be used to identify you), Personal Data that Data Subjects voluntarily provided, and Personal Data collected using cookies (as explained in the next section).
3.3.1 Definition and usage of cookies
A "cookie" is a small piece of information that is stored on your device (such as your computer) and which records the way that you use a website so that, when you revisit that website, UNIMONI can provide tailored options based on the information that has been collected from your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and, in some cases, to provide you with tailored advertising and marketing.
Following are the broad categories of cookies used on UNIMONI websites:
- Essential cookies: These cookies make UNIMONI website operation work and therefore they cannot be turned off or rejected. These cookies do not gather any information about you and do not have the ability to remember how you have used our website;
- Performance cookies: UNIMONI use these cookies to help analyse how its website is used and to improve its performance. For example, UNIMONI use them to understand where visitors to the UNIMONI site are based, how many people visit the website and which sections of the website are the most used;
- Functionality Cookies: These cookies allow UNIMONI website to remember if you have previously visited the UNIMONI site or the choices you made (e.g. language preferences) to provide a more personalised online experience.
- Third-Party cookies: These cookies collect information from your device and perform tasks that analyse behaviour and collect other information, such as demographics. These cookies may be used to provide you with personalised advertising.
3.3.2 Third Party Marketing Cookies and Social Advertising
3.4 Personal Data collected by UNIMONI through Social Media
UNIMONI may process anonymized data derived from Data Subjects' publicly available social media resources for statistical purposes. Although anonymized may be derived from your Personal Data, it is not considered Personal Data in law as this data will not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. We may also process Personal Data derived from publicly available social media resources that Data Subjects make available when interacting with us including: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+, Pinterest, Weibo and WeChat. Such Personal Data may include but is not limited to:
- Public Social Media Profile Name
- Mobile number
- UNIMONI related posts (e.g. Mentions & Hashtags)
Legal basis for processing Personal Data
Personal Data will be processed by UNIMONI only if and to the extent that at least one of the following applies:
Compliance with Legal Obligations
UNIMONI may process Data Subjects' Personal Data when necessary to comply with a legal obligation, e.g. Anti-Money Laundering screening and reporting requirements and where required to comply with court order or judicial proceedings.
Necessary to achieve legitimate purposes
UNIMONI may process Data Subject's Personal Data in pursuance of its legitimate business purposes where such processing is necessary, and our interests are not overridden by the privacy rights of the Data Subjects. E.g., our legitimate business interests may include communication with our customers in relation to requested transactions, pursuit of customer care initiatives, internal record keeping purposes and fraud prevention.
In certain scenarios, UNIMONI may rely on Data Subjects' consent to process their Personal Data for a specific purpose. For example, UNIMONI follows an implied consent methodology when you have a continued relationship with us (soft opt-in), but we provide an opportunity to object to sending direct e-marketing materials in every communication.
UNIMONI may process Personal Data as required to ensure we comply with our contractual obligations towards Data Subjects.
Purpose of Data Processing:
UNIMONI generally uses Personal Data from Data Subjects for the purpose of providing a service. This may include the following:
- Authorising and processing Data Subjects' transactions, including effecting and administering money transfers and ensuring proper payment to the designated recipient of funds.
- Monitoring and improving our services including websites/mobile apps and its content.
- Sending information to Data Subjects about UNIMONI products and services.
- Customer care initiatives to improve UNIMONI services.
- Meeting legal, regulatory, self-regulatory, risk management, fraud prevention and security requirements, which may include (among other measures) verifying the identity of the sender and recipient of funds and checking identities against money laundering, terrorist financing or similar watch lists established by regulatory agencies or similar bodies. For identity verification purposes, senders and recipients of money transfers may be required to produce valid identification or consent to verification by other means before releasing funds.
- Maintaining business and transaction records for reasonable periods, and generally managing and administering UNIMONI business.
- Meeting insurance, audit and processing requirements.
- Otherwise as permitted or required by law.
Personal Data Sharing
In order to carry out the processing activities established in this Privacy Statement, UNIMONI may disclose Personal Data relating to its Data Subjects to:
- Data Processors: UNIMONI may share Personal Data with third-party service providers ("Data Processors"), including affiliates of UNIMONI performing services on UNIMONI behalf, for example: information technology, data hosting, marketing, customer care, fraud prevention, etc. UNIMONI takes steps to ensure that Personal Data that is processed by Data Processors is protected and not used or disclosed for purposes other than as directed by UNIMONI.
- Third Party Data Controllers and Joint Controllers: UNIMONI may share Personal Data with third parties acting independently from UNIMONI as may be required in connection with the services provided to Data Subjects, for example: any intermediary banks or other financial institutions involved in the transaction of UNIMONI services.
- Successors: if UNIMONI is purchased by/sold to a third party, Personal Data held by UNIMONI will be transferred to the successor entity.
- Relevant Authorities: UNIMONI may disclose Data Subjects' Personal Data as necessary to meet legal and regulatory requirements. This may include disclosure of Personal Data to government authorities, for example, in compliance with suspicious activity reporting requirements under anti-terrorism, anti-money laundering and similar laws and regulations.
Cross Border Personal Data Transfers
In connection with providing services to its customers, UNIMONI may transfer Personal Data to destinations outside Qatar in accordance with our legitimate business purposes and where permitted under law. When transferring Personal Data outside Qatar, UNIMONI ensures that security measures and appropriate safeguards are put in place to protect the Personal Data and to ensure that all transfers comply with applicable data protection law. For example, for transfers of Personal Data between UNIMONI group companies, UNIMONI has in place an intra group data transfer agreements.
Data Subject's Rights
Data Subjects have certain rights with respect to their Personal Data. In summary, these are:
- To be informed: Data Subjects have the right to receive certain information about how their Personal Data is processed. Therefore, we are providing you with this Privacy Statement.
- Access: Data Subjects have the right to access and receive a copy of their Personal Data.
Data Subjects are also entitled to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection regulatory authority, the Ministry of Transport and Communications (MoTC). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the regulator, so please contact us in the first instance. For more information on your rights, please contact us using the details below.
UNIMONI employs a strict policy against sending unsolicited communications. Please note that UNIMONI will continue to send administrative communications (i.e. Transaction Notifications) if you opt out from Marketing/Customer Care communications. UNIMONI may also contact Data Subjects in response to their inquiries, to provide services at the Data Subjects' request and to manage their requirements.
Third Party Websites
UNIMONI websites and emails may contain links to various other websites. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy policies. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy Statement of every website you visit.
Security Measures to protect Personal Data
UNIMONI takes all reasonable steps to ensure that all Personal Data collected through its branches and websites is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement and strict data protection standards.
Retention of Personal Data
In general, the period for which UNIMONI retains Data Subjects' Personal Data is aligned with UNIMONI's data retention obligations under anti-money laundering laws. In all cases, UNIMONI only retains Personal Data for as long as is necessary for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. When determining the appropriate retention periods, UNIMONI will consider different factors, including: contractual obligations and rights; our legal obligations (for example, anti-money laundering laws); statute of limitations under applicable law; potential disputes; guidelines issued by relevant data protection authorities; and UNIMONI's legitimate business interests. UNIMONI securely erases Personal Data once it is no longer needed.
Removal from UNIMONI Marketing Communications
Data Subjects may want to discontinue receiving marketing information from UNIMONI. While this may mean that Data Subjects will not receive product or service information of interest to them, UNIMONI respects Data Subject's wishes not to be informed directly of these promotions or product introductions.
You may inform UNIMONI at any time that you want to opt-out of these communications by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us.
Changes to this Privacy Statement
UNIMONI reviews and updates this Privacy Statement from time to time. We encourage Data Subjects to periodically review this Privacy Statement to make sure they are aware of the latest version. If we make any material changes, we will bring this to your attention.